Justice of the Peace
414 Denver Ave. Ste. 101
Dalhart, Tx. 79022
Justices of the peace are elected for four-year terms from precincts established by county commissioners court. Texas' constitution
provides that justice of the peace courts:
1. Original jurisdiction in criminal misdemeanor cases which are
punishable by fine only;
2. Exclusive jurisdiction in civil cases when the amount in
controversy is $200 or less;
3. Other jurisdiction as provided by law.
Justices of the peace are ex-officio notary publics, may perform
marriages and can act as coroners.
Additionally, justice courts have jurisdiction of:
1. Civil matters in which exclusive jurisdiction is not in the
district or county court and in which the amount in
controversy is not more than $5,000, exclusive of interest,
cases of forcible entry and detainer;
2. Foreclosure of mortgages and enforcement of liens on
personal property in cases which the disputed amount is
within the justice court's jurisdiction.